Personal Childhood Web

Personal Childhood Web
Family Photo

Saturday, July 7, 2012

Breastfeeding

        Breastfeeding
In the sphere of public health, I prefer the topic of breastfeeding.  I know firsthand how excellent this wholesome substance is for babies.  It proves to be far superior to anything on the market for infants to drink and safely digest.  Therefore, breastfeeding is significant to me. 
Consequently, I chose to breastfeed both of my children.  Although, they were premature and initially tube fed, I insisted they get the colostrum which is “a yellowish fluid rich in antibodies and minerals that a mother's breasts produce after giving birth and before the production of true milk. It also provides newborns with immunity to infections,” as defined by Encarta Dictionary.  Afterwards, I was encouraged to pump my breast, label the bottles with the date and time, refrigerate, and transport them to the neonatal unit of the hospital.  My babies were fed the breast milk through their tube feedings.  I was very pleased with this process, because I knew the breast milk was the very best for my children.  However, once they were weaned from the feeding tubes and ready to suck, I diligently tried to breastfeed them.  Unfortunately, by the time my children were released from the hospital they were too accustomed to the artificial nipple.  Nevertheless, I continued the process of excreting my milk to bottle feed them with love and affection.  After all, it was still a fulfilling and rewarding experience knowing I was feeding them the best nutrition.  Furthermore, I agree with Berger who indicates breastfed babies are less likely to get sick.  To this date my children have never been hospitalized for any illness.    
Additionally, breastfeeding is fascinating to me.  The woman’s body knows exactly how and when to produce this nutritive mixture of micronutrients and antibodies to mix together for the baby’s ultimate nutrition.  Moreover, according to the Office On Women’s Health, some adoptive mothers can breastfeed!  This is possible because lactation is a hormonal response to a physical action, so the stimulation of the baby nursing causes the body to see a need to produce milk.  The more the baby nurses, the more a woman’s body produces milk.  Even though, I had heard this before, I kind of doubted and never bothered to research it.  There is no better news for an adopting mother who wishes to bond with her baby. This is truly an awesome subject because its affects are long lasting and beneficial to mother, father, and baby.
Contrarily, he French health system does not support breastfeeding.  They frown upon breastfeeding, never mind the numerous benefits.  Instead, they are more concerned with sex appeal claiming breastfeeding destroys lives and starts to rob women of their most powerful weapons of seduction!  Statistic indicates France has the lowest breastfeeding rate in the western world.  When French couples decide to breastfeed they keep it to themselves to avoid criticism because it is looked upon as sexual abuse.  Many French women are discouraged to breastfeed by their doctors and are fearful of becoming slave to their babies.  This is real deception as it deprives mothers of the ultimate bonding experience and the baby of the best nutrition. 
Nevertheless, it is their culture and should be respected.  I had the opportunity to visit France in 1988 and to my disbelief there was a plethora of brothels and lingerie shops.  Thus, I can understand why they feel breast are for sex appeal.  Nonetheless, I am pleased to live in a nation where breastfeeding is accepted and endorsed by health systems along with medical personnel.  Overall, it is for the betterment of society.   I will still place breastfeeding pamphlets for interested parents to pick up at our sign in table, as well as, continue to encourage mothers to be and mothers of infants to give their babies the best start in life by breastfeeding them.  Additionally, I will share my newly gleaned knowledge on the subject matter in hopes of grasping their interest to at least give it a try.
I conclude, knowledge of breastfeeding and its worth put into action is a powerful phenomenon to the beginning of a very healthy and fulfilling life.  The world’s health systems are wise to promote and support breast feeding for the well-being of their youngest citizens and mothers.

References

Berger, K. S. (2009). The developing person through childhood (5th ed.). New York, NY: Worth Publishers.


Falchetto, A. (2010). Adoption and Inducing Lactation. Retrieved from http://pregnancy.healthguru.com/article/adoption-and-inducing-lactation  

Falchetto, A. (2010). Breast Is Not Best If You Live In France. Retrieved from http://www.mummyinprovence.com/breast-is-not-best-if-you-live-in-france

Gibbons, F. (2011). France Breastfed Baby Death.  Retrieved from http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2011/apr/01/france-breast-breastfed-baby-death



2 comments:

  1. Hello Linda,
    I really enjoyed reading your blog concerning breastfeeding. Reading your blog on breastfeeding brings back some wonderful memories. I was only able to breastfed two of my three children, the first one I tried but she just would not take on… I was really young so I took her not wanting my breast as a rejection and did not want to try with the next two.

    However, when I had what I call my “second set of children,” I tried again and was delighted that they both took on with very little encouragement. My fourth child when she was five months old she got pneumonia and had to be hospitalized for five days the doctor said that she recovered sooner in his opinion because I nursed her. Needless to say I make sure I breastfed my last child. I also agree with you about how amazing it is. The very day I started with nursing I fell so in love with breastfeeding until I really did not want to stop (but I did) I love the eye contact

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your information on breastfeeding. Will you encourage others to breastfeed as well?

    ReplyDelete