Personal Childhood Web

Personal Childhood Web
Family Photo

Friday, July 15, 2011

Personal Childhood Web

My Mom was a loving homemaker and greatly influenced my life with her care and words of wisdom.  My mom valued education and respect for others.  She wanted me to accomplish the best.  She taught me to obey rules and encouraged me to do my best in school.  My achievements made her very happy, and I enjoyed making my parents happy.  She praised my accomplishments.  I never wanted to hurt or disappoint my parents.  So, I was sure to obey them and do my best.  Mom made me feel special when she affirmed her trust in me.  Nurturing to my mom was protection and security.  I felt special when she told me stories while she combed my hair.  I learned so much from her during those tender moments. Never will forget Mom’s proverb, “treat people the way you want to be treated,” that is my motto, I live by it, I teach my children and students to live by it.  It is truly the golden rule.  Sadly, my mom passed 3 days before my daughter was born.  I miss and think of her most every day.
Daddy operated his own roofing business.  He was the sole supporter of our family.  He and mom both valued education.  I loved sitting on my dad’s lap listening to his stories.  After Sunday’s church service dad would take us sightseeing to show us pretty houses he had installed roofs on.  He did the same at Christmas time to see the beautiful decorations and lights.  These activities were very nurturing and I continue to do them today.  I remember, during the commencement of integration, many families’ boycotted schools and resisted busing, but my dad would load us into his work truck and take us to school.  We were not allowed to miss school except for sickness.  Having furnished us with a library of books and encyclopedias, he would say, “You can travel anywhere in the world by reading, so keep reading.”  I couldn’t help but read.  My siblings and I often reminisce and remind my dad how he encouraged us academically. 
My maternal grandparents were phenomenal.  I was exceptionally special to my grandparents.  I spent lots of time with them.  My grandfather was a driver for the Mayflower Moving Company; sometimes he would let me travel with him.    This made me feel like I was on top of the world sitting up so high above all the traffic in the big-semi trailer he drove.  He always urged me to read signs even though he could not read.  Once, while traveling, he asked me to pronounce the word Kissimmee posted on a sign.  I pronounced it kiss-a-me, he laughed and laughed.  The word is actually pronounced kiz-sim-mee.  It is a small town near Orlando, Florida.  Whenever I am traveling that way I remember him and laugh too.  This event encouraged me to strive to pronounce words correctly.  I still feel as though he were alive.  My grandparents loved, respected, and supported each other.  My grandmother always said, “One hand washes the other.”  This was evident in their relationship.  She started me to reciting poems on church programs.  I love poetry and I sometimes write it too.  They loved me and wanted the best for me.  I miss my grandparents and I sometimes feel as though I can call and talk with them.
I am he youngest of 5 children.  My siblings were protective of me.   I was excited when they returned home from school because they would teach me what they learned.  My brother taught me to swim and trusted me enough to let me play with his animals.  My siblings and I share a special bond.
In 3rd and 4th grade my teachers shared the same last name, Williams.  They were very kindhearted, generous with knowledge, and very inspiring.  My 3rd grade teacher invited me to join the reading club which I thought was awesome, I felt so special that she chose me.  I was inspired to do my best.  Mrs. Williams, my 4th grade teacher always encouraged me to take parts in plays which I had to learn and recite poems.  She would say, “I know you can do it Pompey (my maiden name) and I did.  To this day I am reassured by her words.  Consequently, I tell my students the same.   

No comments:

Post a Comment